in the game of the name.. December 18, 2008Posted by raincrystal in fun, just anything under the sun, stuff.
words — well, sometimes you can’t really be too serious with them..
just to have some little thoughts to ponder upon (and maybe to give a few laughs in between), i have managed to collect some really interesting phrases — from business establishments trying out rather unique and even quirky names to stand out in the crowd up to the trying hard manufacturers imitating the names of well-known brands.. guess it’s time to examine the etymology of names..
- harry cutter — name of a certain barber shop along matina crossing (from harry potter)
- mary d’ potter — local comedy sitcom with hints of magic and fantasy (from harry potter also)
- lord of the wings — really creative name for a chicken stand (lord of the rings, obviously)
- lord of pranings — print on a shirt.. roughly translated in english, “pranings” means “paranoid”.. thus, lord of paranoids.. (lord of the rings again)
- hayaianas, havananas, and hawaianas — cheap imitations of the famous flip flop brand, havaianas..
- odidos — name of a backpack (pathetic copy of the trademark “adidas”)
- abibas — baby sneakers (another pathetic copy of “adidas”)
- ipood — shirt print, complete with the silhouette of a lady sitting on a toilet bowl (from ipod)
- banana cue — another cheap imitation of the flip flop brand, banana peel.. “banana cue” is a snack treat of deep-fried bananas glazed with sugar..
- jfc — a chicken house (sounds like the fastfood chain “kfc”)
- kini rogers — also a chicken house (localized “kenny roger’s roasters”)
- samsong — a somewhat funny imitation of the cellphone samsung omnia..
- chikadora the exploiter — a segment on a local late night sitcom (from dora the explorer)
- spanish bob — another segment from the said comedy sitcom (spongebob)
- pake mo — print on a shirt.. “in english, none of your business”.. (made to have the trademark font of pokemon)
- martyr nyebera — a song by kamikazee.. (from local singer martin nievera of course..
and, uh, you got that right — the title was supposed to be the other way around.. like, “in the name of the game”..
rainy day blues in school… November 21, 2007Posted by raincrystal in just anything under the sun, personal, school, stuff.
add a comment
… uh oh… it’s raining cats and dogs outside — well, it’s not surprising though considering the fact that the weather had not been very good lately… so, mr. sunshine’s out… that’s why i’m close to having a frostbite here… yeah… the aircon’s very near me and well, am i exaggerating if i say that i’m shivering to death?
… ugh… rainy days… well, i sort of loathe this kind of weather (i think all students here do) since well, transportation is just so hard — and very much dangerous too… okay… am i pouring all my sentiments on this page? maybe yes… well, i’m not a rich kid so i have to ride an HH to and from school… and duh, you know it — if you’re studying here… the roads are so damn slippery that moving just a little bit while riding the HH can result to some serious trouble… and well, i’ve experienced riding the said vehicle in the middle of a heavy downpour and i ended up going to class as if i just took a bath with clothes on and then forgot to remove them… yeah… that’s the trouble here in UP…
… 2nd… if there’s rain, then there’s mud — lots of filthy mud… i was hiking to HKC yesterday afternoon just after the rain for my soccer, er, football class… trivia: the term soccer is used only in the US… or is it the opposite? well, back to the point — if there’s any… i can just be considered lucky since i was wearing jelly sandals and not some kind of chucks, ballet flats or worse, high heels… yeah… why? it’s really muddy and me and my classmates have to walk in the water… it’s cleaner though compared to floods in the downtown area… but then, again, it’s mud and it can still make you sigh and say, “hai… ba’t ba ganito ang UP? buti pa ang ADDU…” nyahaha…
… and what more? well, if you’re on your way to mintal and it’s raining cats and dogs, it’s not surprising that the river will overflow… so it’s either you take the risk of soaking wet or you choose to get stranded… but if you’re just super lucky, you can ride the jeep or multicab (which are always full) and be dry and comfy…
… and then, hmm… i absolutely hate the rain when we’re in the middle of the discussion since well, i always want to go to dreamland… i think everybody else does… isn’t it nice to get some zzz’s during this kind of weather? so that’s it… if i’m in school (or anywhere outside the house), i abhor the rain… but then, if i’m at home, well… i just so love it… you know why… i’m a sleepyhead…